Have your say

We welcome ideas, evidence and opinions to enrich the community conversation about our Jewish education. All comments will be moderated, and disrespectful posts will not be published. The Jewish Education Foundation also reserves the right not to publish comments that identify particular schools or individuals.

Your Username will automatically display when you make a comment.

1. Avi Cohen says:

The raison d’ĂȘtre of the founders of the Jewish Schools in Melbourne was overwhelmingly the need to create Jewish Schools and not simply schools for Jews. Today not only do we face the challenge of affordability but also the no less significant issue of quality of staff and curriculum within the Day Schools.

We cannot ignore this if we want to ensure the long term continuity of our community.

Much as I was gratified to read the report and am pleased that the issue of affordability is being addressed I was frustrated that there was no mention of actual Jewish education. The raison d’ĂȘtre of the founders of the Jewish Schools in Melbourne was overwhelmingly the need to create Jewish Schools and not simply schools for Jews. Today not only do we face the challenge of affordability but also the no less significant issue of quality of staff and...
    1. Site Manager says:

Thanks Avi for your comments. We will take this onboard.

2. Leonie Ben-Simon says:

What exactly is the model that Yavneh College is using?

1. Site Manager says:

Thanks for your questions however you will need to ask Yavneh College directly for that answer.

3. Chachum says:

E pluribus unum should be an aim for the project

4. SarahCG says:

I am so glad this conversation is happening as I am still weighing up the benefits of private Jewish education for my son, as the costs are hugely influentials, and enrolling one child would mean enrolling all – can I commit to that? I would personally love to see Jewish education in more areas across Melbourne (such as Frankston), as not all of us live in Caulfield.

1. Site Manager says:

Thanks so much for your comment and you bring up a good point in regards to location.

5. John Rosenberg says:

I strongly support this initiative. For many years I have advocated for a single Jewish senior school. However, this will only happen if each school has an open mind and is willing compromise for the good of the community. I also firmly believe that if there is no change to the system, Jewish schools in Melbourne are ultimately doomed.

1. Site Manager says:

Thanks John for your support and reiterating our concerns.

6. Zcvorsh says:
    This is a fabulous start to solving a very complex problem in our community. I commend the working group on their hard work and efforts to this point and look forward to seeing what comes from the community consultation. I would like to recommend however, that while this working group has a diverse range of experienced professionals – it does not have representation from many young parents of the future, likely those who are in their mid – late 20’s, who do not yet have children but will no doubt have interesting and valuable insights to contribute considering their role in the future of this community. In the interest of diversity, I recommend that some young representatives are selected to join this working group and bring the issues and recommendations from their group’s perspectives forward.
    1. Site Manager says:

Thanks for your feedback. This is a valid point and will be discussed further.